Tomb Raider Reborn

Tomb Raider Reborn
Image by Steamkittens

Wednesday 27 August 2014

Staying Motivated

The closer we get to Oz Comic Con, the more excited I should be, right? Well, I am excited for the event, but at the same time, I'm incredibly frustrated with my costume. It's definitely the most advanced thing I've ever made, and I've had to learn so many new techniques that I feel like I'm back at school. After a week of setbacks, most of which related to my illnesses, I've decided to write a short guide to staying motivated. Most of these tips should be second nature, but it's amazing what our brains are capable of forgetting under pressure.


  1. Have a Cosplay Partner: I'm lucky enough to be able to work with my fiance on costumes, which I'm incredibly grateful for. Although Andrew doesn't usually end up wearing anything, he plays a big part in the preparation and creative process. I'm very good at visualising what I want and how I want to go about it, but sometimes it's difficult for me to begin a project because I'm not confident in myself. Andrew usually gets the ball rolling and we work on different pieces based on our strengths.When one of us is feeling down and unmotivated, there is someone there to boost morale. If you dislike working with others, or you just don't have anyone that you trust enough to work with, have someone on hand that you can at least vent your frustrations to. Everyone ends up doing last minute repairs and trips to the hardware store, so we may as well laugh about it together.
  2. Have a Plan: I'm big on planning and making lists, especially for big cosplay projects. As soon as you have a character in mind, and you've figured out when you would like to cosplay, I recommend working backwards from ONE WEEK PRIOR TO THE EVENT. Now, technically according to that logic, I should be finished my Goa'uld costume by Friday. At the rate I'm going, I'm thinking Tuesday might be more realistic. The one week buffer should be for minor adjustments, make up tests, even photo shoots so you can practice posing. Unless you're an expert seamstress/prop maker, one week is not enough time to perfect a costume.
  3. Learn New Techniques First: The reason I suggest this early on is that the closer you get to your chosen event, the more efficiently you're going to have to work. We'd all like to be able to plan for every eventuality but it's just not possible. The more rushed you are, the more likely you'll be to cut corners. It's also easier to absorb information when you're feeling fresh and relaxed. And don't count failed attempts as wasted time. As long as you learned something, then your time was well spent.
  4. Complete Tedious Tasks Early: If there's anything that requires a lot of attention or is quite repetitive, I recommend completing these tasks early. I also recommend having a quiet work space away from distractions like Facebook and TV. If something is particularly boring, your mind will begin to wander and you'll make a mistake. Be sure to get a good night's sleep and have a decent breakfast too.
  5. Strike While You're Motivated: If you're on a roll and you've finished everything on your To Do List for the day, see if there's anything on the next day's list that you feel up to completing. You'll thank yourself when you hit a slump day later on.
  6. Don't Punish Yourself: If you don't get everything done by your deadline, or if your costume isn't one hundred per cent what you'd like it to be, don't be too hard on yourself. Cosplay is about having fun and there's no rule against revisiting a costume in the future. I'm definitely going to revisit my Goa'uld costume. Not only would I like to make the bodice, but I'd also like to try some new techniques to make another Ribbon Device.


I'm really looking forward to hanging out with people at Oz Comic Con. I've decided to bring my tripod and microphone so I can do some on-screen interviews while I'm there. I'd love to hear about your costumes, so come and find me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment