Tomb Raider Reborn

Tomb Raider Reborn
Image by Steamkittens

Thursday 21 August 2014

Featured Cosplayer: CB Studios Cosplay

If you've ever run into my next Featured Cosplayer at a convention, you would be forgiven for thinking that he'd just stepped off a film set. Known on Facebook as CB Studios Cosplay, Curt is somewhat of a guru to myself and many others. When I first met him, I just thought he was a cool, tattooed metal-head. I didn't realise that sitting in front of me was an incredible artist.


After seeing a few of his projects on Facebook, I decided to ask Curt for some advice on building a Silent Hill Nurse costume. I don't know if I should thank him or hit him over the head for introducing me to Barnes. My wallet would certainly be a lot fuller if I never got into cosplay, but then I wouldn't have such an amazing creative outlet. In all seriousness, it's because of people like Curt that cosplay is such a fun hobby. It's touching when a person you hardly know is willing to share their knowledge with you, simply because they love their craft.

Curt as Evil Ash (Army of Darkness)
Photo: Ryan Williams

When you look at the standard of Curt's costumes, it's hard to believe he's only twenty-five. As an avid Star Wars fan, it was the Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Vader, that inspired him to get into cosplay.

"I'd watched the original Star Wars trilogy and I wanted to be Darth Vader. It took five years to finish, but that was the start of one hell of an expensive hobby," Curt says.

Twelve years after he decided to give in to the Dark Side, Curt has become known for his screen-accurate creations, including his most popular cosplay, Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean).

"I've spent an obscene amount upgrading and tweaking every individual part of my costume, and it always gets an amazing crowd reaction," he says.

Curt as Captain Jack Sparrow
Rebecca Burton Photography

"My current favourite cosplay is my Mr. Lordi. I've made several versions over the years and I love dressing up as him. It's hot and uncomfortable, but it's a massive rush to 'become' one of my idols."

Curt as Mr. Lordi
Photo: Elissa East

Hot and uncomfortable are feelings that most cosplayers can relate to. I'm guilty of what I like to call 'con rage' - wanting to punch everyone around you because you just can't deal with anymore body heat. It's sad, but it can make certain costumes less enjoyable.

"My least favourite costume would have to be my Batman," Curt says.

"I love my suit, I put a hell of a lot of work into custom sculpting the body armour and making almost every part of it. It looks amazing, but it's shit to be inside it."

Curt as Batman
Photo: Daniel Hutton

When you first decide to take the plunge and enter the world of cosplay, it can be incredibly daunting and somewhat confusing. I've often found myself wondering where to start, especially before I'd had the chance to play with casting materials and a proper sewing machine.

"I usually start working on a small interesting piece, and hopefully keep momentum going through the whole project," Curt says.

"If I can keep doing tiny interesting bits, I usually see the whole thing through."

Curt as Tonto (The Lone Ranger)
George Wong Photography

Browsing through his photos, it's clear that Curt goes to great lengths in order to bring his heroes to life. While there's no law that says you need to look exactly like your chosen character, there's nothing wrong with going that extra mile to include some of the finer details.

"Exercise is a horrible thing, but my upcoming 'secret project' does require me to lose my beer gut," Curt says.

"I'm also no stranger to body mods for cosplay. I still wear a nose ring I had punched in for a Slash (Guns 'n' Roses) cosplay back in 2008. I've dyed my hair for The Joker and, more recently, I've had Captain Jack Sparrow's signature tattoo inked permanently on my forearm."

Curt's Captain Jack Sparrow tattoo.

It seems to be a running theme lately, but everyone is being very hush hush about their upcoming projects. Curt is no exception.

"I've got one major secret cosplay in the works for Brisbane Supanova at the end of the year, and a bunch of projects in various stages of completion. I'm trying to set up a life size Darth Vader display, as well as a replica Raiders of the Lost Ark Indiana Jones costume."

As popular as he is, Curt doesn't let anything go to his head. He's always enthusiastic about helping his fellow cosplayers, and he'll happily pose for a photo or two at a con.



Just look for the guy who looks like he belongs on a film set. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment