Tomb Raider Reborn

Tomb Raider Reborn
Image by Steamkittens

Monday 11 August 2014

Goa'uld Hand Device: Update

With Comic Con fast approaching, I've had to ramp up my workload in order to finish my costume. I began working on my Ribbon Device back in April and my goal was to have it finished by the end of June. Sadly, finances and illness got in the way, and I'm still working furiously to get things done.

I spent a fair amount of time practicing engraving in order to create the pattern on the arm band. After spray painting it, however, the engraving is barely visible. To be honest, it's not a big deal, but for future versions I will be sure to create deeper lines.


Sculpting the sun piece for the bottom end of the arm band was more difficult than I anticipated. I had to enlist my partner to help. While I have no problem with organic shapes, lines and measurements are not my forte. He created a template on baking paper and we used a scalpel to cut out the shape we needed.


Thankfully, making silicone moulds is incredibly easy. I was able to purchase everything I needed from Barnes.


The first thing you need to do is assemble the mould box. Be sure to leave enough room around the object you are casting. This will ensure the object is completely covered in silicone.


Next, seal the edges with some modelling clay. This will ensure that no silicone escapes while the mould is setting.


As with most chemicals from Barnes, measure (by volume or weight) each part into separate disposable cups. Pour Part B into Part A and mix until there is no white left. You have around six minutes of working time before the silicone starts to set. I suggest mixing for no more than four minutes before pouring. That way, there will be no need to rush and cause air bubbles.


Each mould only takes about twenty minutes to set. Carefully dismantle the box to remove the mould, take the positive out and trim away any excess silicone.


As you can see from the above photo, I also sculpted a small crystal to sit on the back of the wrist. The centre of the sun piece is gold tinted resin. Unlike the red gems I created earlier this year, the gold ones contain a powdered tint. I'm still working on perfecting the amount needed.



The half spheres normally take around twenty-four hours to completely set. I removed the sun piece from its mould the following day and, to my horror, it was still pliable. Thankfully it has since hardened. The problem with resin is that the smaller the amount, the longer it takes to set.


I still have to sculpt a cradle for the tiny 'quartz' crystal. Once I've assembled the pieces, I will re-spray everything with the gold paint.


This will be my last update on the Ribbon Device until it's completed, otherwise I would just be repeating the same information. I've also purchased a pattern and fabric to create my dress. I had intended to create the Hathor Bodice but I'd rather not have to do a half-assed job. I'll definitely revisit the costume in the future though.

No comments:

Post a Comment