Tomb Raider Reborn

Tomb Raider Reborn
Image by Steamkittens

Sunday 15 June 2014

Eevee Inspired Make Up: Sylveon

When I woke up this morning, I was really excited to be doing my Sylveon inspired outfit. My skin has been calming down after a nasty period of defiance and I was really proud of the hair bow I made, even if it wasn't quite perfect. I started applying the eye shadow I wanted to use, but halfway through I realised the colours were far too bright. I figured I could salvage the situation, so I kept working. I really wasn't happy with what I'd done, but I also didn't want to have to start again, so I began to apply my first eyelash. Whatever good luck had enabled me to apply my lashes perfectly last week was not with me today. I tried and tried and tried and eventually got the lash to stick to my right eye, but I had made a complete mess and I got really upset.

I've mentioned in previous posts that I suffer from anxiety and depression. It's not something I've ever been ashamed of, because it's so common. I started down the familiar path of telling myself I was a complete failure and wondering why I was bothering to write a cosplay blog at all. "Who wants to read something written by someone who can't even put their stupid lashes on," my Black Dog shouted inside my head. Right about then is when I would normally curl up under my blanket and sleep the rest of the day away.

But not today.

You know who wants to read my blog? People like me. People who are just starting out and feel like they are useless because they don't know how to do something ridiculous like build a working Serpent Guard helmet (from Stargate). People screw up all the time. I started this blog because I wanted to share a journey with you. If I waited until I was an expert in everything, I'd be waiting forever.

So, I picked up my box of rhinestones and continued to work on my right eye. It ended up looking more 'mermaid' than 'fairy', but it wasn't terrible. In fact, I now have an idea of how to do my make up for the Lady Gaga concert in August.

I decided to do something very basic with my left eye. A small amount of a much lighter pink shadow, black liner on the top lid, and the matching lash (which went on surprisingly easily - go figure). I also put on a very light pink lipstick. When I was finished, I realised that this is what I had wanted to do all along. I had tried to over-complicate things with my right eye, when all I needed to do to be fairy-like was something simple and elegant. I like the look so much, I'm excited to wear it with my everyday outfits.

Here's what I ended up with:


I absolutely adore this wig. Sadly, it doesn't appear to be available anymore. You can find a similar wig here.





As you can see, I made every effort to hide that pesky right eye. Had I not mentioned it, you probably would have thought nothing of it. But the whole point of this blog is to show people where I go wrong and where I improve. So, here it is:


It's not all that bad. I mean, I don't think it is. I even managed to make my eyebrow blue. But it wasn't right for this outfit. I guess I just didn't realise I was capable of doing simple make up. I actually feel like achieving a natural look is probably the hardest job a make up artist has. When you try something with a lot of flare, you can claim creativity, but everyone knows what 'natural' looks like, so if you screw up, it's more obvious.

That said, if you take away anything from this post it should be that it's okay to screw up, as long as you learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment