Tomb Raider Reborn

Tomb Raider Reborn
Image by Steamkittens

Wednesday 16 July 2014

Featured Cosplayer: Emily Burgess


The first thing that struck me when I was working on this article was how wonderfully Emily writes. For convenience, I send my questions by email, and never have I received such beautifully worded answers. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. When you meet her in person, Emily is just as charming and eloquent as her writing would suggest.

While my first couple of Featured Cosplayers have only been in the game for a short time, Emily began her cosplay journey thirteen years ago.

"Initially, I saw cosplaying as a delightful way to share my appreciation for nostalgia and puppetry," she says.


"I find that I am most recognised for my Mr. Squiggle puppet. There is so much love for this character."

Emily with Mr. Squiggle

I first saw Emily at Gold Coast Supanova in 2012. My partner was absolutely amazed by Mr. Squiggle and Blackboard, and he stopped her for a photo. I didn't see her again until November last year. She was manning her own booth in Artist Alley, accompanied by a very cheeky looking Minion (Despicable Me). I decided to take a look at her paintings and I found myself absorbed in an exquisite miniature world.

A sample of Emily's artwork

"Perhaps it is a tad cliche to say, but I always put a lot of love into my artwork. My greatest joy comes from sharing my art and generating smiles."

"I am always extremely grateful, surprised and overwhelmed by the support and appreciation from others."



One of Emily's biggest supporters is her partner Charlie. She says she has been lucky enough to find love and friendship with someone who shares her passion for creativity and cosplay.

"My overall experience with cosplay has been enhanced since finding love and a perfect cosplay partner. Cosplaying as a couple with Charlie has been nothing short of amazing."

"It is comforting to know someone has my back and will support me through the entire creative, productive and reflective process."

Emily and Charlie at Abbey Medieval Festival in Brisbane
James Niland Photography

If you're a regular con-goer in Queensland, you've probably seen Emily and Charlie roaming around in their amazing steampunk outfits. Like myself and many of my fellow fashion lovers, Emily has found herself seduced by the amazing possibilities offered by the movement.

"I find it astonishingly beautiful and clever. I have particularly enjoyed having the freedom to develop a unique character and costume of my own design."

Charlie and Emily at Gold Coast Supanova 2014

Looking at some of her photos, you would be forgiven for thinking that Emily bares a striking resemblance to Phryne Fisher (as portrayed by Essie Davis in the television series Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries). Her friends have encouraged her to tackle a Miss Fisher cosplay at some point.




"I'm currently working on Morticia and Gomez Addams. Also, Sam Sparks and Flint Lockwood from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - Steve the Monkey and Strawberry puppets included."

"My puppets are more than just props. When I am cosplaying with a puppet, it is the focus and I am more of an assistant to that character. It's not about me, but I will always make an outfit or a novelty dress to support the puppet and give it context."

Emily and Catbug (Bravest Warriors) at Gold Coast Supanova 2014
James Niland Photography




As a petite girl, Emily tends to choose characters that are of a similar build. While there is nothing wrong with portraying a character you don't look exactly like, she believes that playing to your strengths can have its advantages.

"I am petite and I am far too aware that I will never be able to cosplay some of the more voluptuous and strong female characters of pop culture. It doesn't matter, because there are so many beautiful and talented ladies out there already representing them."

"I believe in playing to one's own strengths, being happy and comfortable."

Charlie and Emily at Gold Coast Supanova 2014



With so much talent, charm and kindness, the sky is the limit for someone like Emily. She's chosen to share her knowledge by becoming a primary school teacher.

"Cosplayers use passion and ingenuity to turn fiction into reality. I have great plans for weaving creativity into the classroom."

No fair. My teacher never brought puppets to school!

No comments:

Post a Comment