Tomb Raider Reborn

Tomb Raider Reborn
Image by Steamkittens

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Oz Comic Con Preparation

I am a part of many fandoms, as are most people out there who proudly adopt the term "nerd" to describe themselves. However, I think we all have that one fandom that we subscribe to over all others, whether it's gaming, comic books, fantasy novels or cult film. For me, it's Sci-Fi, specifically Stargate. I jumped on the Stargate bandwagon pretty late, probably around season three or four. I remember it started out with a pretty good time slot, 7:30pm on a Thursday night. But as the seasons went on, it got pushed back further and further, until I found myself staying up until midnight to catch the latest episode. Of course that doesn't happen these days, between on-demand streaming and, ahem... downloading.

As mentioned in my previous post, my very first con was Gold Coast Supanova 2012. I was absolutely beside myself when I found out I would be able to meet some of the stars of Stargate. It costs a fair bit of money, and it's only a brief encounter, but for that one fandom that you keep on a pedestal, you'll do it anyway. And I have. For the last two years I've been going to cons, and while I've met stars from other parts of the geek cosmos, it is my collection of Stargate photos and signatures that I'm most proud of.

Which brings me to Oz Comic Con. I've never bought a VIP ticket before, but I've had a long-standing deal with my partner that if either one of us finds a con worth paying premium prices for, we can cash in our "VIP Token". So, consider mine cashed in. I'm not going to say how much I've spent. If you really want to know, you can go to the Oz Comic Con website and see for yourself. It's not something to be ashamed of, I just don't feel posting a dollar value is particularly relevant. Stargate may not be your bag, but I can guarantee there is something on this Earth that would prompt you to say "Screw it, I'm in."

What does all this have to do with cosplay? Well, although I've been cosplaying for two years, I don't feel I've ever completed a costume that has really challenged me. To be honest, I probably wasn't ready before now. But, having met a bunch of awesome Stargate cosplayers, I've noticed that everyone tends to stick to the military gear and guns. I saw an amazing Prior at Armageddon in Melbourne. And a Jaffa at Gold Coast Supanova a few weeks ago. One thing I've never seen is a Goa'uld. I'm not saying it hasn't been done, I just haven't run into one.

Prior from Stargate SG1 seen at Armageddon in Melbourne, October 2013. Apologies to the cosplayer, I did not get your name!

And thus begins my descent into madness as I attempt to make a Hathor inspired costume for Oz Comic Con. I'm starting with the hand device. I'll document my progress daily and hopefully I'll be able to help anyone else out there who may be interested in making a similar costume. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I am trying to find somewhere that has this costume for purchase...any thoughts on where I can find this?

    ReplyDelete