Tomb Raider Reborn

Tomb Raider Reborn
Image by Steamkittens

Sunday 27 April 2014

Goa'uld Hand Device: Day Three

Today, I awoke to the wonderful news that my resin gems had set perfectly. I've never used resin before, and I was fairly nervous when I went to bed, as the instructions said the pieces should set in a few hours. I have a feeling adding pigment may cause the mixture to take a little longer to set, but I only have my own experience to go by. I've tried Googling the information but I think I'll have to ask some of my cosplay gurus.

Resin Gems before removing them from the mould.

Resin Gems after removing them from the mould.

I was able to pick up two moulds (for my glove and bodice gems), a mould release agent, a resin kit and pigment from Barnes. Along with more alginate for my second hand cast, it set me back about $200.00, but I won't have to replace anything for a good while. I only used about 40ml of mixture to make this test batch of gems. I'll probably end up using the second largest one, as I have tiny hands.

Example of where gem will sit on finished glove.

I should probably mention that I used gloves and a dust mask when mixing the resin. I wasn't too sure how dangerous it was so I decided it was better to be safe than sorry. I also found it easier to weigh the ingredients using plastic cups and basic kitchen scales, rather than measuring cups. I've decided to keep a supply of plastic cups and cutlery in my cosplay box for paint/chemical use.

Now, I know you're all dying to know if my second hand cast worked or not. So, instead of procrastinating, here is the result:

Very Nice!

Aside from a few air bubbles and lumps where I must have wriggled my fingers in the alginate, this cast is just what I need. I'm going to leave it in the sun for a week or so, just to be sure it's completely dry. Until then, I will be working on the arm band part of the glove. I may need to wait until pay day though...

Removing the alginate. I actually found this to be a superior product to the first one I used.

Removing the alginate. Words cannot express how relieved I was to see fully formed fingers. I imagine this must be what childbirth is like.

1 comment:

  1. Your gems look absolutely lovely! Might I ask what pigment you used? I checked the Barnes website, but all I found was a rather generic sounding "polyurethane pigment" with no identifying photo...

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete